Leaburg station ready for rebuild
LEABURG: Since forming over 50 years ago as the Thurston-Walterville Rural Fire Protection District, McKenzie Fire & Rescue has increased its area of coverage. The original fire station was constructed at the junction of Millican Road and the McKenzie Highway with volunteer labor and donated materials in 1959. Two years later the district purchased its first fire truck.
In 2012 the district’s boundaries range from the Springfield City limits and extend east to milepost 40 on the McKenzie Highway, just short of Blue River. It also provides coverage to the Camp Creek area down to Marcola Road. To accomplish that, the fire district over the years has constructed five fire stations - located in Walterville, Camp Creek, Leaburg, Vida, and Nimrod.
For more on this and other news from around the McKenzie River area, pick up a current copy of River Reflections, available at news racks, stores and restaurants all around the area. Look under the 'Newspaper Locations' link on this site to find out where. Call 541-822-3358, fax 541-663-4550 or via email: Click here today to subscribe.