McKenzie Bridge, Oregon

McKenzie Bridge, Oregon Community sign

McKenzie Bridge

 

• MP 50.9: McKenzie Bridge Campground, Forest Service fee.

• MP 51.1: Early settlers called McKenzie Bridge Strawberry Prairie. Lew Powers operated the area’s first store. Horse Creek Road leads up into Wapiti country (an Indian word meaning elk), leading to hiking trails as well as some magnificent views of the “High Country.” The community of McKenzie Bridge includes a country store, numerous resorts, two churches, a retreat center, fire station, realtors, a deli/coffee shop, and professional river guides.

• MP 51.6: Jenny B. Harris Wayside sits on four acres and has trail access to the river. This is a day-use only park with picnic sites and public toilets.

• MP 52: McKenzie River National Scenic Trail head. This 26-mile trail passes through the gorgeous Tamolitch Valley and winds its way up and around Clear Lake to Fish Lake. A boat landing is at the trailhead.

 

Photo of Ranger Rock• MP 52.4: McKenzie River Ranger Station was constructed in 1934 as the Camp Belknap CCC Camp. Today, the station is a great resource for information about area recreational opportunities. Ask them for a detailed map of the National Scenic Trail.

• 53.1 Paradise Campground on the north side of the highway is one of the finest of many campgrounds in the valley. A boat landing is located here.

 • MP 56.2: McKenzie/Santiam Pass National Scenic Byway, one of the most beautiful loop drives in Oregon. An RV park with cabin rentals is located approximately 1/4 mile from the junction. This road leads into some of the most recent volcanic flows in the state, some as recent as 1,500 years old. Always check with the Ranger District for seasonal opening and closing dates of this highway.