History

Ladies Civic ClubBack in the 1920's, the Springfield Ladies Civic Club made their dreams a reality.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Following three years of feasibility analysis, research and meetings with public officials, the Friends of the Springfield Arch has been formed to chart a plan for rebuilding the  Springfield Gateway Arch. The group agrees that a strategy focused on introducing visitors to attractions in the areas to the east and to the west of the arch’s portal should be developed.

The Springfield/McKenzie Gateway Arch Project

East and west views of the proposed Arch

From the March 14, 2001 edition of McKenzie River Reflections

As a state highway crew worker, Brad Bigelow has cleaned up his share of road kill. Over the years there’s been quite a smorgasbord - from elk to deer, raccoons to dogs, cats to squirrels and even opossums. Last Saturday morning he got his first call to pick up a dead cow. Shortly after, he was notified to pick up another, then another.

From the February 14, 2001 edition of McKenzie River Reflections

BPA towersBy Finn J.D. John

On a sunny late afternoon, in a remote woodsy area near the base of Mount Hood, five fiery explosions rattled windowpanes in a few farmhouses along Highway 26 near the community of Brightwood.
It was immediately clear what the coordinated blasts had been: an attempt to take down the power grid.

Animal House posterBy Finn J.D. John

In this third and final part of a 3-part series on iconic Hollywood films shot in Oregon, we’ll talk about six films rather than five. Our survey ends, rather arbitrarily, with the end of the 1980s, at the dawning of the Gus Van Sant era of filmmaking in Oregon (and particularly in the Portland area).

Dave HelfrichEUGENE: Life was a little different over 100 years ago when settlers moved in to start a life on the McKenzie River. Making a move from Prineville, the Helfrich family put down roots and played a key role in developing tourism as a big part of the local economy.
Things were different back then. There was no running water, no electricity and no insulation in their house when the Helfrich family bought 160 acres on a mile and a half of river frontage in 1902. The land - stretching from the old Stockade up to Cook’s Ranch (near Mom’s Pies) - lead to the family’s role in the development of the Northwest’s tourism industry and the river guiding fraternity.

From the February 7, 2001 edition of McKenzie River Reflections

Crews ready to drain Cougar

Cougar cooling tower

 

From the May 5, 2000 edition of McKenzie River Reflections

Seymour's ChateauBy Margaret Estenson

Pages

McKenzie River Reflections is the weekly newspaper serving Oregon's McKenzie River Valley. Available by mail for $23/yr in Lane County, $29/yr outside Lane. Digital subscriptions are $23/yr. Subscribe at: http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/catalog/subscriptions-0. Purchase copies online at: http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/catalog/back-issues-0. Read about area communities including Cedar Flat, Walterville, Camp Creek, Leaburg, Vida, Nimrod, Finn Rock, Blue River, Rainbow and McKenzie Bridge.