river guides

Dave HelfrichEUGENE: Life was a little different over 100 years ago when settlers moved in to start a life on the McKenzie River. Making a move from Prineville, the Helfrich family put down roots and played a key role in developing tourism as a big part of the local economy.
Things were different back then. There was no running water, no electricity and no insulation in their house when the Helfrich family bought 160 acres on a mile and a half of river frontage in 1902. The land - stretching from the old Stockade up to Cook’s Ranch (near Mom’s Pies) - lead to the family’s role in the development of the Northwest’s tourism industry and the river guiding fraternity.

Helfrich brothersPosted: 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 2

All tickets for this year's McKenzie Memories have been sold - none will be available at the door.

Below is a story about the event.

EUGENE: A paddle down a stream full of memories is planned for the night of April 4th. The third annual McKenzie Memories history event will feature storytelling, music, rare historic films and photographs of the McKenzie River.

Thomson footbridgeBy Ruth West

A wealth of memories clings around the name, “Thomson’s Lodge,” and in spite of the fact that the lodge has now passed out of the hands of the Thomson family who founded it in 1860, the name and the famous hospitality of the place will continue.

McKenzie River Reflections is the weekly newspaper serving Oregon's McKenzie River Valley. Available by mail for $23/yr in Lane County, $29/yr outside Lane. Digital subscriptions are $23/yr. Subscribe at: http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/catalog/subscriptions-0. Purchase copies online at: http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/catalog/back-issues-0. Read about area communities including Cedar Flat, Walterville, Camp Creek, Leaburg, Vida, Nimrod, Finn Rock, Blue River, Rainbow and McKenzie Bridge.